Amazing Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
• 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, softened
• 1/3 cup real maple syrup (we use Grade B)
• 1/3 cup organic sugar
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 cup white whole wheat flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, blended into powder
• 3/4 to 1 cup dark chocolate chips, 60% cocoa (semisweet will work to, just not quite as "real")
• 3/4 cup nuts, chopped (optional, we prefer without)
• .75 to 1 oz. dark chocolate (60% cocoa or better) bar, grated
Like the vintage Vita-Mixer? It was my mom's when I was a kid...she has a new one so we get the old one! YEAH!
Checking on those oats. We like them with a little texture left, not completely powder.
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered oats, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Helping grate the chocolate. Love this grater - really safe with the guard so the kids can help!
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and syrup for 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in dry ingredients. Stir in grated chocolate, then add chocolate chips and chopped nuts, if using.
This is the dough, pre-chocolate.
4. Roll or scoop dough into 2-inch sized balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet or baking stone (I use my small Pampered Chef scooper – it makes more and they are perfect every time). Bake for 10-12 minutes. Do NOT overbake. Should still be soft.
5. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
Because it is just too hard to wait! They call the beater and the spatula the "lickers"!
Makes around 2 dozen cookies, or more if scooping with the smaller size. The scooped dough freezes great and bakes up as yummy as the fresh dough. Add 1-2 minutes to baking for frozen dough. So good!
My girls enjoying their cookie. . .