Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal and BACON, plus some good FAT

Some words a friend read to me one morning this week, may they challenge you as they have me:

Set a guard over my mouth, LORD;
keep watch over the door of my lips.
 Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil
so that I take part in wicked deeds
along with those who are evildoers;
do not let me eat their delicacies.
Psalm 141:3-4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bring on cozy socks, drifting leaves, and the crisp apple scents of autumn...
...and Pumpkin Oatmeal with Bacon for dinner!

Yup!  That's what we had tonight.  Usually, I plan meals 2-3 weeks out, but the chaos of sudden testing for our littlest collided with the end of my meal plan for this month and suddenly, I was faced with a few days of empty menus!  I KNOW...shock and horror!!!!  Ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I was a little panicky until I saw a few fallen leaves of gold and light orange on our front lawn...just the inspiration I needed.

This is a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner, that never fails to leave my family satisfied with warm, full bellies.  Surprisingly filling, and stuffed with nourishing vitamins, this is a winner (as long as you like pumpkin and won't break out for the squatty vegetable...Ash ;)  and in that case you can swap it out - see below)

Pumpkin Oatmeal




For a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 smaller people with very big appetites):

2 1/2 cups raw milk (or milk of your choice)
1 cup pumpkin puree (or sub sweet potato or acorn squash)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
          or substitute all of spices for 2-3 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
3 1/2 cups regular oats
pure maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
chopped nuts (optional)
dried cranberries or raisins (optional)

Gently heat milk and pumpkin in a saucepan to a low boil. (If you are using raw, do not bring to a full boil; you will kill the healthful good bacteria and enzymes, but your oats will appreciate very warm milk).


Add oats and spices, stirring frequently for 5-8 minutes, or until milk is absorbed and becoming thick.



Spoon into bowls, drizzle with syrup and a little more  milk.  Top with nuts and dried fruit.  So yummy! AND just a few bucks for the whole family.


Now, for the BACON!!!  Can there be anything better than BACON!!!!  It's so good it deserves capitals!

One thing I didn't mention in the Natural Cow post was how the body, both animal and human, stores toxins in fat.  Yes, gross, but God's way of protecting the vital systems of our body but sending the "bad" stuff to the outer lining (which is one of the reasons why high amounts of inter-visceral fat, the kind that lives between and near major organs, is so dangerous).  Isn't our Creator amazing!

This means that organic, naturally fed meat is not only more pure, but the fat in it is healthier too!

So if you are eager to move down the REAL food track...this is a good place to start: FATS!!!!

Back to BACON.  You can find natural, nitrate-free bacon you can feel good about feeding your family in some grocery stores, including Trader Joe's. (Nitrates are the preservatives used to cure bacon and hot dogs...aka - very bad for you.)  It IS a bit more pricey, but we eat less and savor it more, knowing it is actually a benefit to our bodies instead of a greasy treat we feel gross about eating once it's all gone.

And a piece or two, now and then, is absolutely fine and healthy, a good dose of fat and a powerful punch of iron.  Just please don't microwave it and zap all those positives qualities!


I just got this great grease screen with a hinge in the middle so I can lift up each side to check and flip without my hands getting spattered with burning crackles!  (Pampered Chef)

So there you have it - a very quick, healthful meal full of REAL food!  Hope you ENJOY and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Will definitely try this oatmeal recipe! Thank you! And live those verses at the beginning, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- give steel cut oats a try, it will take your oatmeal experience to the next level. i usually make up a batch for the week or do the overnight crockpot method and then add the pumpkin and spices (and a touch of maple syrup or brown sugar) after they're done. Even made with water they are creamier than rolled. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEK! holy cow. I did NOT mean to tell you to "LIVE" those verses at the beginning - I meant to say that I LOVED them!!! wow. so sorry - what a bad typo!!!! Was typing on my iPod!!!! eek.

    ReplyDelete